When a group of golfing friends at Ballantyne Country Club (BCC) in Charlotte, North Carolina hosted our first Rally event in 2004, they were thrilled to know they could play the sport they love while raising awareness and funds for a worthwhile cause, thanks to Rally for the Cure® (RFTC). Like so many Rally for the Cure events, the BCC Rally event started very small, but with the enthusiasm and commitment of our volunteers, our event has grown to include golf and tennis as well as a gala. RFTC has been an integral part of that growth providing creative ideas, awareness information, goody bags and prizes, but we have also developed a very close and special relationship with our local Komen Affiliate in Charlotte, which has had a big impact on the success of BCC Rally.
Working closely with the local affiliate has helped BCC Rally in a number of ways:
– As a group dedicated to raising breast cancer awareness and funds but not actually involved in running the community programs, having the Affiliate attend our event helps validate our efforts.
– Affiliate staff members enjoy attending Rally events to recognize local grant recipients and to explain to Rally participants how the local community benefits from the funds raised. Affiliate staff will often share local breast cancer statistics, along with news of current programs and research progress to keep our Rally volunteers informed of the impact of Rally events, and the goals of Komen at local and national levels.
– Local business supporters are encouraged and volunteers are energized by witnessing the visible support of Komen for the work of our Rally team
– While all Affiliates are not as large as Charlotte (our local Affiliate) and may not be able to attend every event, they are often happy to provide additional breast cancer awareness materials, information about their local grantees and perhaps something fun to include in the Rally goody bag.
The Charlotte Affiliate also benefits from maintaining a close relationship with the BCC Rally volunteers:
– BCC Rally leadership, volunteers, friends and family enjoy supporting other fundraising and awareness efforts of the Komen affiliate such as the Charlotte Race for the Cure® and the Laugh for the Cure® comedy evening.
– By keeping all RFTC volunteers well informed about Komen funded programs and research, the Affiliate’s message will be shared into communities far beyond their reach.
– The Charlotte Affiliate has often called on our BCC Rally volunteers to support and represent them at other local Komen events outside of our Rally, especially when the Affiliate is busy (usually during October, National Breast Cancer awareness month). This in turn, gives our Rally volunteers an opportunity to publicize the BCC Rally event to a new community.
While RFTC offers the vehicle for Rally groups around the country to raise awareness and funds within their circle of influence, developing a relationship with your local affiliate will help enrich your Rally. By collaborating with the local Affiliate, your volunteers will truly understand the benefits you can bring to women in need in your community by Rallying for the Cure.